Black Spindel bug? (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, December 09, 2015, 15:15 (3080 days ago) @ slycrel

Regardless of how well you've tested up to that point, there are any number of problems that can cause problems. Making a huge assumption that it was something like this, I'd bet that they had merge conflicts in the codebase that were heavily reviewed and signed off on. However, what looks good by eyeballing the new merged code doesn't take into account feature X, which hasn't changed, but totally relates and changes the behavior of all the merged code. But since it hasn't changed, nobody has tested for that, assuming it has all been tested previously, and a bug slips through.

I always assumed testing was rigorous. I remember Bungie talking about how back in Halo 3 they had xboxes running all the time taking random inputs looking for ways to break things.

From my friends who ARE programmers (and maybe this is different because they work on software that operates drones to kill people, not games), they basically:

1. Have a list of changes they made or features they added.
2. In testing each one of those is tested and confirmed to be working, and tested in conjunction with other features / conditions.

It kind of baffles me they didn't actually confirm these changes when they released the patch. I understand random bugs popping up, but this is something you KNOW is supposed to be changed!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread