Who is your favorite bad guy? (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, February 09, 2016, 15:24 (2970 days ago) @ Durandal

I think he's a pretty good character who happens to be the antagonist.

As a proper foil for the heroine of the movie, he fails. Measured against any of the other characters he doesn't seem intimidating much at all

Wait... Do you mean characters with the force? or just anyone? Because I'm pretty sure he beat the shit out of anyone with a gun. I mean he could stop a blaster shot in mid air, how is that not intimidating?

and certainly doesn't seem like as big a challenge to overcome.

You have to give Ren some credit. The only time he lost a fight was once in the movie. And he was fighting with a blaster hole in his gut. And he was fighting against Rei, who was getting strong in the force fast just like Luke.

It's bad enough Rei is just a mary sue pilot/mechanic/fighter who multiclasses into Jedi master half way into the film

Compared to Luke the pilot/mechanic/farm boy who multiclasses into a Jedi half way into the first film?

our plucky POV stormtrooper is lovably incompetent, but their interactions with Ren are like a videogame cutscene where you would wipe the floor with some mooks but because it's a cutscene you lose to one blow to the head or something.

Of course he is incompetent! he is a storm trooper, he is the redshirt of star wars! The only reason he is a somebody is because he decides he doesn't want to be a storm trooper anymore and I believe he has some force in him.

Darth Vader is never seen at a disadvantage in a fight until Revenge of the Jedi. He never seems troubled by Kenobi in III, and only gets shot by Han because he's focused on Luke. In Empire he pretty much kicks everyone's butt. Going up against Vader, or even failing him, is a serious proposition that adds tension and gravitas to the plot.

The latest movie needed someone similar. Phantoma could have been the icy competent Boba Fett, but she gets all of two lines and is never used to good effect. There was really no one to be afraid of.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread