I accidentally wrote a review. *SW7 Spoilers* (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 15:13 (2969 days ago) @ Leviathan

Agreed, but in fiction those moments are more gratifying after a failed attempt or two (her mind control of the guard is 100x more enjoyable because it doesn't work at first). I don't mean to overstate my thoughts here. I like Rey and the movie. Many of her instincts and skills seem fully formed from the start, though, and we don't know how or by whom. Not a showstopping issue by any means.

It wasn't those events alone that showstopped it for me, but it did add to it. By about two thirds of the way through the movie I was pretty disconnected from it and I had started to lose grasp on character/faction motivations, what planet they even were on, and just in general why things were happening, besides as an homage to all the previous films. I still don't understand what an Awakening in the Force is...

It's worth noting that I went in completely dark, so that might explain some of my experience. I didn't really know anything about the movie besides a few thumbnails indicating Harrison Ford was involved in the film. Oh, and that there was a ball-droid! (On a side note, I think I should win an award for this - it was REALLY difficult, hah! ;) I even waited until last week to see it, as to not have the chance of a distracting audience.)

Maybe there was just too much to take in with no previous knowledge of it? There was a lot of blink-and-you'll-miss-it world building and exposition. A Stormtrooper was starting to have doubts about his career choices when I had to run (and I did RUN) to the bathroom. I came back 60 seconds later and he was firing on his former comrades. "Okaaay, let's just stay focused," I told myself and kept myself invested. Although I prefer (and am still inspired by) the more coherent and graceful space battles of the original films, I still had fun with the Falcon chase. I got a smile on my face when they said "that one's garbage!". I also really appreciated the fact that the Falcon had a new radar dish, as Lando broke it off inside the Death Star II. Nice attention to details!

But after they left Not-Tatooine and went to Not-Yavin IV, I started to get distracted by the special-edition CG aliens and Firefly-esque gangs (if this was Han's last movie, why weren't those some bad-ass bounty hunters?!), and the X-wings zipping around like the prequel battles (slow down for a second so I can see and care about what's happening!).

I got REALLY confused when the bad guys, who I still didn't really know anything about, committed the worst atrocity in the galaxy (and all the films) to a planet I also knew nothing about. But the X-wing pilots were yee-hawwing five seconds later so I guess it wasn't that bad? I still don't understand why the new Republic and the Resistance are two different things. No one talked about that in the film. Didn't Return of the Jedi accomplish something? Why hit the reset button on everything?

So when Ray started using a Jedi Master mind trick with no previous indication of even knowing such a technique existed, it was another big dose of confusion. Being good with a lightsaber distracted me as well, but you could at least maybe explain that by saying her staff-skills were comparable.

People were taking down shield generators, X-wings were doing trench runs, and father-figures were getting killed by the bad guy. Having seen that plot happen around four times on the screen (and if you watch them in order, now twice in a row), it felt more like the movie was trying to tell me "THIS IS STAR WARS" instead of capturing the nuances and atmosphere of the originals and using those traits to tell a new story. I was 90% unimmersed at that point...

But then Leia walks right past Chewie after the shared love of their lives had just died, without even a word, and hugs Ray, a character she had never met before. I was 100% gone and now my heart was even confused. :(

Maybe if Luke had said something at the end like "Ray, you've returned.", I might have been pulled back in a little, as I would have had an explanation for her abilities and some of the coincidences that had happened.

Sorry for all the negativity - I really don't enjoy being disappointed by Star Wars! I've felt weird and debated myself over it constantly since seeing it. I actually want to LOVE the film with all my heart. There was a lot of potential there. I actually really liked Ray and Kylo Ren, Fen was funny, BB-8 was creative and cute, Han felt like Han. I loved all the re-uses of Ralph McQuarrie designs! I usually really enjoy JJ Abrams, too! I might be in the minority, but I thought his Star Treks actually injected the franchise with a lot of the adventure, color, and inspiration that the 90's had slowly zapped out of it. I was totally ready to love this new film - I was even worried it might re-ignite the SW action figure collector in me and drain my wallet for some new vehicles!

Maybe a second viewing (without a bathroom trip!) will help me wrap my head around some of those parts that confused me. Maybe there'll be an extended edition of The Force Awakens someday that fills in the gaps and gives the pace a chance to breathe! Maybe the next one will knock it out of the park. :)

I don't really disagree with much here, except I think I saw what was unexplained as a strength in some cases. (I love the ending, and not knowing what thoughts are behind Luke's face.) Now that you mention it, the walking past Chewie part just makes me sad and takes the film down a notch. You're right! It's just weird that Chewie isn't who she'd comfort first!

All in all, though, I really did enjoy it more the second time. I'd recommend it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread