Empire is too ingrained in my heart & brain.*SW7 Spoilers* (Destiny)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 18:59 (2996 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I don't really disagree with much here, except I think I saw what was unexplained as a strength in some cases. (I love the ending, and not knowing what thoughts are behind Luke's face.)

I think Luke saying anything would have absolutely ruined that scene.

What did you get out of the scene? Serious, not rhetoric question. I didn't get the point. I thought all that time climbing up the hill could have been spent on a funeral or some sort of grieving for Solo. I certainly wasn't ready to move on from one of my childhood heroes dying yet.

Now that you mention it, the walking past Chewie part just makes me sad and takes the film down a notch. You're right! It's just weird that Chewie isn't who she'd comfort first!

For whatever reason this actually doesn't bother me. In the films, we never really see any indication that Leia and Chewie are close at all. Their only connection is Han. I'd assume they became close because of that connection, but it doesn't have to be true.

One of the best scenes of the originals (alongside the rest of Empire's finale) is Han's imprisonment in carbonite.

"The Princess... you have to take care of her."

[image]

As Han is lowered into the pit, Leia reaches out for Chewie.

[image]

As the process happens, she buries her head into his coat.

[image]

When he's raised up in carbonite, they're holding hands.

[image]

AFTER this scene, for the rest of the movie, Chewie's right with her, doing as she says, like she's just as much a partner as Han was, now that they've both lost him.

Maybe it isn't super-explicit, but personally, the above is just too burned into my heart to take that said scene in TFA as anything but untrue, especially with Leia ignoring Chewie for a character she hasn't met. Maybe if there was a deleted scene right afterwards, with Leia and Chewie interacting in some way, I could accept it, but as it stands, it just takes me out of the movie.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread