Underwhelming, to be sure. (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 01:31 (2987 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So the live team, since SRL, has basically made a fancy skin for the tower that looks like a 9 year old girl's fantasy come true, 2 shaders, and emblem, and... not much else. I guess there are new emotes to pay for. This nonsense about 320 ghosts is also lame. I got a 298 ghost (I don't need a 320, but it was supposed to be the big draw here as far as rewards go). Maybe I misread and it was only a "chance" at a 320 ghost? I'm assuming that was it.

In terms of Crimson Doubles as a special "event", I have to agree with you. This really isn't the kind of content I was hoping for from the live team. I've heard whispers floating around that the live team is a lot smaller than most players assume it is (I keep hearing things like "there are 8 people at Bungie currently working on supporting Destiny year 2", not including the engineers running the servers and stuff like that). I would never put too much weight into rumors like that, but the content we've seen out of the live team does lead me to believe it is a very small team. Whatever the case, I feel like the whole "microtransactions will pay for free content" argument is working out to be a far better deal for Bungie than it is for the player base :-/

Lastly, the PvP change to special ammo is not good and does not change very much. The very first round features icebreaker, invective, or sidearms, and ever round after that is exactly like it was before the patch.

So far, specials have not been an issue for me at all. I'd guess it's a mix of luck and my playstyle. I play very aggressively, which means most rounds are over before the special ammo boxes have spawned. I ran into 1 or 2 Ice Breakers and 1 Invective last night, no sidearms. The gametype has been 99% primary-weapon dominated so far, which I quite enjoy.

Man, your games were the opposite of ours. At least three of our games had every match run to near the end of time, if not end by point capture. One team we played on Asylum actually turtled in their spawn until they got the special, then ran to the special in the water downstairs, and then to our spawn to get all three specials the first match. It was smart, and we were dumb not to realize what they were doing.

We did see a healthy mix of weapons and enemies, and faced a couple of very good opponents... and two teams clearly cheating with lag-switching... why on earth isn't the damage referee part of the elimination mode where it matters so much more than control???

Overall, our match quality was quite good last night. 1 or 2 laggy games, but solid for the most part. Didn't run into any obvious lag switchers.

Other than the two teams of lag switchers we had no noticeable lag or latency. The lag-switchers though... UGH. I emptied my Invective into a guy that would have won us the match only to have him teleport behind me and instantly double-melee me AND my teammate to death. That was the worst, but the others were pretty atrocious too.

And there's also no new quests at rollover, so after tonight's run through literally all of the content in just a few hours, I'm probably going to be playing helldivers or Hand of Fate for the rest of the week. I guess it was an interesting diversion, but this isn't a game mode I'm going to be seeking out in the future.

I really enjoy the gametype, I just think artificially hyping it up by making it a "special event" is misguided. None of the dog-and-pony show around it makes it any more enjoyable or fun. I would have been happy with a doubles elimination playlist being added to the mix. No need for the other stuff along with it.

I don't mind the dog and pony show at all, but if putting roses all over the tower is preventing Bungie from fixing art bugs (Birth of History ffs) or adding new maps, I'm against it. Frankly, I was really surprised and disappointed at how short and easy the quest was (one step, basically). Even the Red Bull quest is more involved. This would have been the perfect opportunity to have people 2-man a strike or something.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread