Shadestep is infuriating (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Friday, February 26, 2016, 03:31 (3004 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I would be happy if they just nerfed Shadestep in general. The fact that you are invincible, afaik, while you are doing it and how easy it is to use for such a useful PvP ability... There have been so many times I've dueled a hunter and had him beat to find him just shadestep away. I have actually literraly cornered a hunter against a wall ready to shotgun him in the face to find that I'm actually just shooting smoke. And there is nothing I can do about it. It's nigh impossible to chase a shadestepper if he is half way decent.

The thing is, it's not that good unless you use the animation cancel. At the end of every shadestep there's a bit of time (half a second maybe) where you're stuck in place and cannot take any actions. But the shadestep cancel exploit allows people to get out of that animation with a jump or by firing their weapon. Fix the exploit and you'll have a much easier time dealing with shadesteppers.

I've had enough experience with it to know that just one shadestep is good. The series of shadestep makes if way to OP. But it's still REALLY good for PvP. It's like a get out of jail free card.

I guess what bugs me almost more than shadestep is that fact that Bungie said they wanted to make the classes more general than specific niches. So why the heck does the hunter get another mobility/dodge ability while the Titan is stuck with only a freaking armor piece that gives him mobility? Maybe I'm just whining about this, but I'm sick of playing PvP and having someone shadestep/blink shotgun me or cornering someone and shooting a rocket at them only to find the smoke clear and seeing them either above me or punching my in the side of the face. When get a rocket shot at me the only thing I can do is sidestep or start cursing, there is no shoulder charging out of that.

I don't care bungie, the very least you could do is give Titans a tuck and roll.

Okay, I think I got that out of me. At least for now.

It's tricky. The hunter class doesn't have a lot of armor, nor can it spec very much into recovery (and certainly not both at once), so all they're left with is mobility. Which is very hard to balance for. Mobility has a lot more to do with how the player uses it than it does with the raw numbers of armor and recovery. So I understand the urge to give hunters a quick dodge (and believe me, when I gunsling, I miss it). But you're right, the current incarnation is too good. Invincibility frames shouldn't exist for shadestep or blink, imo. And the damn exploit makes it insane.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread