Finished Uncharted 4 (tiny spoiler--maybe?) (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 17:39 (2891 days ago)

It’s a great game. Uncharted gameplay has never been my favorite, but this is its best iteration. Nathan Drake has always struck me as a tad too dude-bro-ish for my taste, but one the things I like about the game is how it expands his character in both directions—seeing the younger Drake (yes, we’ve gotten a glimpse before), and seeing him become more of a grown-up. I really appreciate that this is a game made by grown-ups. More like this please.

Sam is a great character, and it’s a testament to Naughty Dog that they introduced such an important character so late in the series and made it work. Sully doesn’t have as large a role (at least on camera), but unlike some, I wasn’t bothered by this. This story was rightly about tensions between family loyalties, old and new.
In a way Uncharted 4 reminded me of Halo: Reach in that it was a greatest hits package integrated into one game. Also, like Reach, it was a bit more grounded, with more accounting for the human costs of what happens.

Finally, the ending left me in a puddle, in a good way. Play it if you can. (I do recommend playing the other three first.)

Kermit

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread