Vive: Makes Oculus look like a viewmaster (Gaming)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, May 28, 2016, 17:07 (2890 days ago) @ Cody Miller

How does it know how big my room is?

The walk through stuff does seem to be a pretty big problem. Maybe someday we could have a belt or an entire suit with some multi-directional force feedback that would bump you as your bump into things like walls or tables or whatever?

One of the neatest thing I've seen with regards to VR was the idea of old laser tag arenas refitting themselves with custom physical geometry like rooms of defined shape and size, padded pillars in the middle of rooms and hallways, and strings hanging down from the ceiling. Without the VR it looks a lot like a McDonalds playpen or something. With the VR you're in a forest or exploring a dungeon. The pillars become trees or stone supports. The thin strings become spider webs or a doorway separated from the outside by beads.

I never really saw the promise in 3DTVs. Too expensive, not enough support, would only really work for one or two people at a time without a lot more expense. But immersive VR where you can really walk around and explore a custom space without too much fear of bumping into a unmatched wall. That sounds cool!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread