Discounting an opinion because it disagrees is poor argument (Gaming)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 02, 2016, 18:09 (2906 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Maybe on a bigger screen this time (and with a good sound system).

For some films this is crucial. See 2001. The film is an almost transcendental experience when you allow the visuals (which are bone chilling really) and the sound to engulf you. If anybody hates that film because the ending didn't make sense to them, then I can almost guarantee they didn't see it properly.

In some ways this is happening to video games too. You don't know how many people I know who find many old games lame. Well, when you play them on an emulator and reload save states all the time, then yeah, it's going to suck.

For MMFR, there were definitely shots where I could tell that, in a theater, they'd be epic. Driving into the storm, for example. The shot is from so far away that even on my 50" TV the war rig was like half an inch long. I actually told my wife, "I bet that looked amazing in the theater." But there's the problem, just as you've stated it: It didn't look amazing on TV. It was difficult to see and thus difficult to figure out what, exactly, I was looking at. It took me out of the movie. I did enjoy the SFX (I have a baller surround sound system), but neither spectacle nor audio help what I feel was a lackluster script. A silent character does not have to be an emotionless, passive, or reactionless character. Again, I loved Mel Gibson as Max and I felt Tom Hardy just didn't deliver that level of performance.

2001 I saw for the first time in a theater so I can't say. Fucking awesome film though. Good god. The pacing is truly incredible.

Video games and save states. Some games like 100 hour long RPGs need it because otherwise they become 300 hours long, which is just asking too much of your player (example: Fallout 4 survival mode. I want the extra restrictions on item weights for ammo, and needing to eat food and drink water, but only being able to save by sleeping basically ruined it for me simply because I don't have enough free time to waste 20 minutes re-doing whatever I just did before I stepped on one damn land mine I didn't see. God how I wish there was a middle difficulty where I could save anywhere), but lots of the old action games were actually really really short games so they needed to be nearly impossible in order to get you to play for more than 20 minutes. Kids these days. In my day we only knew one kid who could beat level 2 of Ninja Gaiden. "Danny the Master" we used to call him. Manages a Taco Bell now, but back then, he was a god among mortals.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread