What happened? (Destiny)

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 22:34 (2862 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Almost every detail I've heard about how vanilla Destiny was set up, designed, and worked on made my brain hurt. The entire workflow of the company back then seemed to be a list of "never do these things" taken from the wall of my old studios. I'm almost surprised Destiny didn't ship as an FMV game. And listen, I worked in test for 13 years. I'm no veteran designer. But I could easily tell that there were really bad mistakes being made on the back end

I have grown to respect you and your opinion over the years, and appreciate your history in the business.
I hate that rumor and conjecture, even if it has been somewhat substantiated?, has become fact over the years. Makes me pretty sad, really, since none of us were actually there.
I don't know how it was set up, designed, and worked on and I don't know how the workflow was. Nor how anything has changed the game...

Oh to be a fly on the wall

Nonetheless, I know what you are saying

I'll relate this to my real life:

I'm a TV editor. I work on Avid. Avid is a piece of flaming garbage wrapped around the dying husk of a giant cockroach, but it's the only game in town (if any of you are programmers and want to get together to make a new video editing suite that actually does stuff, let me know - I'm SO down and the time is right for a new player). There are people, Assistant Editors, who are paid thousands of dollars to do things that a computer should be able to do in seconds. Why? Because Avid sucks and doesn't take advantage of the fact that it's a computer. My job, for many years, was to "group" footage, which boils down to pressing six buttons, in order, ad nauseum. I'm not making this up. You would bind keys 1-6 to the specific commands you wanted done, and then you would just sit there, all night long, for months, pressing 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 over and over and over. Then someone came up with keypress macro software and my life became "Press 1. Tell the computer 5000 cycles. Watch TV for four hours." This is a real job that people still do and earn $1200/week as a starting wage

How can I get this job? I have a (lite) background in AV and have always dreamed about getting involved with TV. My second part time job is doing night and weekend AV jobs and gigs, as well as volunteer gigs. Just lost my day job today so I'm actively thinking about exploring options

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread