What happened? (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 23:55 (2861 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Avid doesn't make it easy because professionals are supposed to shoot properly. Maybe it's different in TV but when I was an assistant on features, timecode was jam synced into audio and video. So it was as easy as selecting everything in the bin and hitting autosync by timecode.

Yeah. I talked with an avid tech once who told me the original multigrouping was actually an exploit in a bug someone found in their live sports code.

Reality TV crews are the worst. They constantly forget to jam sync, shoot on a bunch of different formats, shoot miniDV cams in record-run format with 120 clip breaks in an hour... it's really a pain to sync when your crew blows it, which most do.

Avid was primarily designed for feature and scripted work. So naturally it's just not going to handle multi cam reality or whatever where nobody jams timecode. Sometimes simple things are hard in advanced tools because it's assumed you won't really have to do them.

Yeah, and reality TV companies can't afford (or aren't willing) to pay avid to develop better multicam tools, and avid refuses to develop the tools without being paid to.

FYI premiere can group clips automatically by analyzing matching audio.

I've heard the sync is good but multicam and multi-user environment still lack. I don't know, I've got minimal premiere experience. I'd love to learn, though - it seems like we'll all be over there soon enough.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread