What happened? (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Friday, June 24, 2016, 14:55 (2862 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Cody works in film (right?) and I really have no idea how that career path goes. I know that AEs in film actually work on the edit from time to time, whereas in reality TV they strictly do technical work.

Assistants in film are more along the lines of collaborators. They are expected to know the footage really well and contribute. So an editor might ask them to pull up a reaction shot where character does X, and they will get it and cut it in. They generally make simple trims or alterations. They are an extra pair of eyes to watch the cut and put out ideas.

I had a day where all I did was establish 6 hours of continuous surveillance footage of a girl who visited the main cast in order to ensure she actually gave a BJ to one of the cast members so we could make that claim on air. Then I got to show that footage to the EP, and then again to the legal department. The only time I ever touched a cut was when the producers foolishly let all of their editors go before online had taken a crack at the cut, so I got to pick all of the replacement shots where it was out of focus or there was lip flap form a bad cheat.

At least that is how I treat mine.

You seem like a good boss as far as editors go.

Pay is also much better in film, and schedules more relaxed.

sign me up!

Actually not right now though, because my current TV show is fucking awesome. I can't say enough good things about year-round employment and lax schedules.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread