Different raid strategies for different platforms. (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 27, 2016, 15:02 (2849 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Kermit, Monday, June 27, 2016, 15:06

It's fun playing on two platforms. Each group seems to have their own strategy, and often are skeptical that there might be a different way of doing things.

For Golgy, the PS4 crowd likes to have the gaze holder stand on top of the crates, and have just about everyone else go into the front-left cave with a bubble. Because Golgy looks down, you can, with good aim, hit a vulnerable spot on the top of his head. I find this difficult and much prefer the Xbox crew’s strategy of distracting him with a bubble on the back right bridge. This works well because there are many people quickly taking down the orb, and it’s hard to miss the large target on Golgoroth’s back. Because I can see the orb in my scope the second it falls, the timing of taking his gaze is always nearly perfect, whereas on the PS4 it’s not uncommon to have too many people downstairs not shooting the orb or for the gaze holder to miss his or her shot and struggle to take the gaze. I’ve tried getting the PS4 crew to try the bubble in back, but I think it seems like a crazy waste of resources to them, and we invariably revert to the gaze holder on the crates strategy. I think both groups now have gaze holders 2-5 run a circuit around the map, so that’s a good thing.

Maybe it's a Deeply Flawed Raider thing, but on PS4, we've only ever done the thing with the back bridge on Golgoroth.

I don't get to play with the late-night crew very much. :( You're right, though, it's group difference, not platform difference. It feels like platform difference because I tend to play with the same people except when I play on a different platform.

And then there’s Sisters/Oryx platform terminology …. :) I prefer spawn left/right, Saturn left/right. Despite my personal preferences, I enjoy playing with all y’all. (The PS4 crew has had more experience playing with me, and they’ve shown the patience of Job.) I’m not making this post to be judgmental—no strategies I’ve encountered with DBOers are nearly as weird as what I’ve run across playing with randos. Most raid fights boil down to timing and DPS, and it’s often best to go with what most people are familiar with.

It's a bit frustrating having to "dumb it down" for folks (seriously, how hard is it to learn points on a grid?), but I have to remember that to this day, there are folks who still say "Mars" and "Venus" when fighting Atheon, so maybe I give folks too much credit when it comes to logic. :P
But yeh, it depends on the group that you're with, not exclusive to platform. I've played with a group on PS4 that calls the Sister platforms "Back Left" and such, which is less than ideal, but you try your best to remember which "back" the group has decided is which (I did an LFG group on Xbox where the guy decided that the top (Left) platform on Warpriest was "Right", since it was on his right when he stood behind the Warpriest, and he didn't like that the five other people wanted to correct him.

I remember playing with someone who did the same. Like, dude, why does the whole room have to transpose to compensate for your unwillingness to transpose?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread