Trials and IB will no longer be available on Legacy consoles (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:37 (2830 days ago) @ Harmanimus

As a tehcnical point: all you are paying for is a license to use software and the physical media that it may have been delivered on/with. When you buy a game you are not buying a game. You are buying access to someone elses game. You aren't even buying the bits that are stored on the disk itself. They are more of a carrier medium. It's the same with purchasing music/movies and is why you can legally make unlimited digital copies of music/movies as you want so long as they are backups of the media for use by you.

Games have always been purchased as services, it's only in games where validation is required to play that this becomes an issue for folks, though.

While I get your point, the courts in France disagree with you. Additionally, whether or not you're buying a service, the sales pitch for HoW was that you got a new game mode called trials of osiris. Not that you temporarily got that mode. While I agree that it's justifiable to abandon the 360 for future releases, I don't think it's right to tell everyone who bought the game on the older consoles that they are no longer able to get what they paid for, especially since the game was never sold to them as such.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread