I hope removing the limitations of last gen improve Destiny (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 30, 2016, 20:52 (2850 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I agree, but I'm also sad for our brothers in old consoles who will be getting their game neutered in August.

Me too. As with most, it doesn't affect me, as I've never played on a last-gen console, but it still sucks on principle.

It seems weird to me, too, that they would choose this expansion. It seems like Destiny 2 would be a more natural point to drop support for the old consoles. I imagine it's just about division of labor and resources at this point, and maybe TTK didn't sell all that many copies on old consoles or something.

Probably. I mean, we're a fairly large community, and do you see many active last-gen people here?

I think it's matter of realistic expectations. Everyone knew Destiny was a ten-year game. Did anyone realistically expect it to continue to be supported on last gen for more than a few years?

I assume there are business/financial reasons for this (ditching last gen now, rather than waiting until Des2ny). Releasing any game or expansion on a console brings with it a substantial cost to the developer/publisher. Between licensing & cert, platform-specific development, testing and support, the financial obligation is significant.

I'm sure people at Bungie and Activision looked at TTK sales on 360 and PS3, looked at the current player-base on those platforms, did the math, and realized it just wasn't financially worthwhile to continue supporting the 360 and PS3.

This is ancient history, but back when I worked on the "Adventures of Lego Island" video game, Microsoft paid us extra to develop it just for windows 95 exclusively instead of making it backwards compatible with Windows 3.1. If that sort of strategy was viable way back then, I imagine it could be used today as well. *I have no evidence that this is the case with regards to Destiny*; I'm merely pointing out historic precedent.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread