I must've missed something.... (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, July 05, 2016, 15:39 (2878 days ago) @ stabbim

I'm curious, what about this indicates "lag switching" is definitely the case and not just a shitty connection?

Well, it shows a steady and reliable downstream connection with an extremely poor upstream connection. That's fact. I'm hypothesizing that this is lag switching because that's literally what a lag switch is. It's a lightswitch attached to the upstream wires on your ethernet so you can turn off upstream traffic and move without giving away your true position.

It is certainly possible that the guy with Universal Remote is not lag switching and just has some kind of weird 20 Mbps down / 0.1 kbps up connection, but highly unlikely. The only scenario I can think of it old school satellite internet where you get sat data down but your upstream is still a 56k modem. They certainly exist, but it's pretty doubtful anyone with a current gen console would be suffering through those speeds (let alone uploading video over the phone like that).

I'll add that these vids are not really long enough to prove this. On a slow connection you'll see the lagger periodically and predictably "catch up" - blinking around the map, usually. On a lag switch, it is less predictable because it only happens when the switcher flips the switch, and between moments of lag, he moves freely and fluidly.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread