The problem with Emblems (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 20:17 (2876 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Kahzgul, Thursday, July 07, 2016, 20:31

I feel like so few emblems are actually useful because of a simple fact:

Many make your name and clan impossible to read.

Your name and clan are written in a very light grey, which has no shading or drop shadow at all. This means that any emblem that is bright will render it unreadable. Every year two triumph emblem is like this. The only usable ones are the ones with dark backgrounds.

This could be easily fixed by adding either a dark stroke or drop shadow to text when on an emblem. I'm surprised this hasn't happened already.

Completely true. Emblem design, in general, kinda sucks in Destiny. They tried to make them all look like fake corporate branding for made up companies that had zero plot presence in the original game and have next to zero plot presence now in the current game, but at least have artistic design styles that match their guns since TTK. I wish there were some ones with a sense of depth, or small animations similar to gold hearthstone cards. It's a design space with a TON of potential, but instead we get goddamn bright yellow with white text overlay and, as you say, no stroke or drop shadow so it's wholly illegible.

Were I a tester on this, every single light emblem would have a class C art bug associated with it.

Were I the designer on this, well, many of them would be dramatically different.

I took the three minutes to make an emblem I'd love. This took almost zero effort.

[image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread