Any thoughts on what they showed? (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 14:52 (2828 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I get that he was hired for his writing and not his on-camera persona, but they could really benefit from finding someone who enjoys being filmed to host these things. Deej just seems so uncomfortable and, for lack of a better word, disengaged from it all.

I disagree pretty strongly here. I don't get that sense at all.

Agree to disagree on this one then. He's not unwatchable to me, but he's certainly not the person I'd pick to give guided tours of my game. He seemed more interested in how ad hoc the addition of the art director was to the stream than in showing off the game to the audience. I'm of the opinion that, whenever hosting anything, you need the audience to feel like the show is all for them, and you have to project their desires into your questions for the guests. It's an art form and it's difficult to master, and I just don't feel like Deej has any sort of practice or training at it. He's not a bad person (in fact I bet he's a very good guy irl), he's just not a professional TV host, and when streaming content to potentially millions of fans, it's worthwhile to hire someone who is.

Thinking about the stream in general, I wish there was a lot less talk from the players about the act of playing the game "guys over here, shoot this one, help help" - none of that was needed. I think they should seriously re-evaluate their formula and have players stay silent while the designers (who are not playing) discuss what's being done or looked at, or to at least minimize "game-chatter" coming into their discussion.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread