I totally agree... most of the time :) *now with edit* (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 19:21 (2825 days ago) @ stabbim
edited by CruelLEGACEY, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 19:26

That was sort of why Borderlands was so good. It knew what it was, and just went with it. No bollocks.

When I'm sitting down with the game and having fun, I'm having a very similar experience to what you described. I know what to expect, I know what the game is capable of giving, and I have fun with it for what it is. Where things start to clash for me is every time Bungie starts hyping up a new release or talking about the things that "make Destiny so great", etc. They inevitably talk about the story or characters or lore as if they really matter to the game, and maybe for some people those elements are significant to their experience. But for me, it's all just lip service. They'll talk about our quest to "become legend" and I'll think to myself "that's not the Destiny I know".

It's not that I'm not interested in what's coming next, just that Bungie seems to be speaking to a portion of the fan base that sees the game totally differently than I do. I don't care one bit about the history of the Iron Lords, or of this new branch of the Fallen, or the new locations we'll travel to, outside of the "gamey" elements they bring to the table. Does the new location look cool and is it fun to explore? Are the new enemies fun and dynamic to fight? I don't get lost into the world of Destiny AT ALL, I engage in it as a sort of virtual poker game with friends. I'm never not aware that it is a virtual simulation... a beautiful one, but a simulation all the same. There's nothing about the story or plot or characters that engages me at all.

*Edit* I should point out that I want to care about the world and the characters and the plot, but so far Destiny has failed to give me anything worth caring about in those areas, so I've learned to adjust my expectations. *end edit*

Wouldn't it be amazing if Des2ny reveals that all of Destiny 1, everything we've played up until this point, was just part of a Vex simulation? And Destiny 2's plot and characters are engaging the way we've always hoped they'd be and the fact that D1 was all just a simulation is used to explain why it feels so shallow and disjointed in certain ways? :D

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread