This sub-thread saddens me. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 19:37 (2829 days ago) @ dogcow

I'm fine w/ Bungie being silly in Destiny, even in the lore with the Cabal being puzzled/terrified of our sweet sweet dance moves, but I really really love a good sci-fi story. Fun, good, not-dark sci-fi stories are largely what have attracted me to Bungie (tho' I guess Marathon had some pretty dark elements, but in comparison to other shooters on the market at the time it was a bright & hopeful shooter).

I'd be very sad if Bungie doesn't develop this story/world of theirs. It's got the foundation of a compelling story, when I finished the Black Garden I thought to myself, "There wasn't much resolution here, but I feel like they've set the stage for the next decade of storytelling." So far I feel like they've introduced us to some of the characters and got sidetracked writing short stories set in the universe that don't advance the plot much (TTK being a bit of an exception, but it felt more like a novella).

I'm totally with you there. The part that concerns me is that I'm not sure if it is possible for Bungie to ever fully turn things around. TTK was a big improvement on Vanilla in terms of the narrative flow of the campaign, but it was all rooted in a foundation that I didn't care about. I'm already not interested in the Hive or the Guardians or the Traveler or how any of them relate to each other. So while TTK told a decent little story, it didn't do anything to make me invested in the universe. And I just don't know if it is possible without doing a bit of a clean break. If Destiny 2 has us taking our same Guardians to the same tower (with some modifications, I'm sure) and following the same pattern of talking to these side-characters that I already don't care about to get quests that involve fighting the same enemy factions I've already lost interest in (from a narrative point of view), then not even the best plot or script in the world will be enough to turn things around for me. I feel like I would need Destiny to start over with me. Reintroduce me to this world, to the city, the guardians, the people we're fighting for, and the threats that we're so afraid of. I don't mean a hard reboot, just a new story with new characters, at a point in time not directly connected to where we are now.

I just don't think there is the slightest chance of Bungie taking that approach. Too many people would be angry about everything they did (collected) in Year 1, 2, and 3 being a "waste".

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread