A Good SF Story (Destiny)

by squidnh3, Thursday, July 21, 2016, 20:34 (2807 days ago) @ dogcow

At some point, I think you have to recognize the limitations of a story that requires you to shoot your way from here to there, X times over. Destiny is an FPS, and it's pretty darn good at that, so it's hard to justify moving away from those elements that make it a fun game to play.

Personally, I enjoy the balance Destiny now has between story and gameplay. Most of the real interesting stuff happens behind the scenes in the past or the future, as described by the Grimoire, and it's not limited by the few actions my character can take in the game. My Guardian just happens to be a bit player in an extraordinary SF drama, and I don't mind that information being conveyed to me by way of text story (and in many ways actually prefer it that way, as it's certainly my most common way of interfacing with an SF story). I still maintain the Books of Sorrow story is an extremely impressive work of science fiction, even outside of its connection to Destiny.

As far as the stream goes, I'm also happy that Bungie seems to be developing a more reasonable message: "We had fun making this game, we think it's fun, we think you'll have fun playing it." I think this approach works a lot better than their pre-Destiny marketing of, "This is a transformative experience, it will change the way you play video games and think about space and time," which I think ended up upsetting a lot of people when it didn't live up to those insane expectations.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread