A Good SF Story (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, July 22, 2016, 00:34 (2832 days ago) @ Cody Miller

At some point, I think you have to recognize the limitations of a story that requires you to shoot your way from here to there, X times over. Destiny is an FPS, and it's pretty darn good at that, so it's hard to justify moving away from those elements that make it a fun game to play.

I don't know, maybe if you made it an RPG with FPS elements then you could do other things and have other sorts of interactions besides just shooting. Kind of like, oh you know, one of the best games ever made DEUS EX.

Not that something more like Deus Ex wouldn't be cool, but I don't think that's the only way to go. I played the Halo campaign missions from CE-Reach over and over and over, for YEARS, because the worlds felt alive and the combat was spectacular and dynamic and the missions were so varied. Jason Jones himself has talked about how one of the main motivations behind Destiny was to reward players who do exactly that by giving them rewards or extra activities on top of replaying the same missions. A shooter can totally pull that off without adding complex RPG mechanics... The missions themselves just need to be a lot better.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread