Perhaps you have not read the grimoire? (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Friday, July 22, 2016, 17:17 (2828 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Just a story about fighting a simulation. Yeah that's cool as window dressing, but so is all of Destiny's lore.

I like interacting with characters, being near them, seeing what they do, observing my reaction to them.

*You* are an actual character in this scenario. Everything in my description is straight out of the grimoire, fleshed out to be played by the player so that you get a sense of place and backstory, helping you to care about the world. You come out in an exo body, liberated from the vex, but for sinister purposes that you hope to subvert. You have purpose, history, and a reason to fight. These are the things that Destiny the game really, really lacks.

What's more, it meshes with the way the game actually plays, since there's a large number of simulation-yous, it makes sense that you'd see lots of people who look just like you in the tower. From that point, after bring the machine to Lakshmie and founding FWC, our vanilla destiny Guardians can step into the plot to assist the exo-us in their efforts to subvert the Vex. We then have characters we can interact with who have a backstory we care about because we helped to create that backstory.

Maybe I did a poor job translating a sense of the player being *someone* as opposed to being *anyone*, but I think it's a very strong narrative hook with an already established lore element which also feeds the current gameplay model of the game. Should I have had to type out "each character has a unique personality as well as plays as a different class"? I didn't think I'd need to, but there it is, set in typeface for all to see.

With my idea, there's a plot set in motion that can be fleshed out and four characters are presented and interactive with the main character. No, I didn't go back and type out all of their personalities from the grimoire cards, because I assumed we all were familiar with these people already. Rather, I placed the grimoire characters into the game world in a way that the player can, well, play the game, meet these people, be one of them, and have a hand in the plot that is shaping the game world.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread