Yeah, I was aware that they are characters (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Friday, July 22, 2016, 18:29 (2827 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Your description just didn't talk about how the characters would figure into the actual game, it is predominately you being stuck in a simulation.

The premise is that you are one of those 4 characters and you realize you're stuck in a simulation so you try to escape. You are initially separated, but able to find each other again and - by working together - devise a plan to escape the simulation. This could set up a plot for the game as well as give you a sense of membership to a secret cabal (for lack of a better term) of escapee exos trying to subvert the deal they made with the vex.

I'm not sure what you're asking for... Do you want me to write actual lines of dialogue for everyone or list specific examples of things they do?

My point wasn't so much "characters make the story" as it was "we need some sort of backstory and plot hooks to get us invested in what we're doing." Let's get more loot isn't nearly as compelling as "we think there's a tool here that will help us prevent the vex from completing their simulation of the universe and thereby become gods" which, in turn, isn't as compelling as "we need that tool because we're the ones who may have accidentally brought about the ability of the vex to complete that simulation and we really, really don't want to go down as the people who brought about the end times."

Our character would have a point of view, a sense of self, and a purpose, all beyond just being a killing machine.

I had an inkling of what would happen after that initial prologue - lakshmie sets up the Device and people start going insane or dying or seeing the future when they use it; the player sets out to find a way to subvert the device so we can use it to spy on the vex instead of them spying on us; we enlist the aid of the guardians to hunt down vex relics on mercury and they discover Osiris who has been training guardians to fight the darkness using the dark powers against them - he asks us *why* the vex want to simulate reality, which brings us to the speaker... It's not all fleshed out yet and it starts getting off cannon at that point, too, which is why I didn't include it. But those events... They aren't the thing that's missing. What's missing is why the player should care about any of this, and that's what I hoped to illustrate with the prologue I wrote.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread