Rethinking Raids: What makes VoG stand above CE and KF (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, July 22, 2016, 21:12 (2806 days ago) @ CyberKN

My point is, the Vault of Glass is so memorable because the game is constantly throwing things at you that you didn't even realize were possible in Destiny, as a game or even as an engine. It takes the wholly mundane and familiar encounters you have become used to over the story missions and throws dozens of new mechanics into the mix, and doesn't stop throwing new things at you until it's over. And we LOVE experiencing new things in games.

Yes, if you go way back and look at my posts about VoG the morning after it opened up, I was absolutely floored, because none of it was expected, or even something I thought was possible. It was one of the best gaming experiences ever, because there was so much new to discover. It was like stepping out of the Lifeboat onto Halo times 100.

This revelation of new things is part of what dulls CE and KF. We're no longer stunned by the concept of an enemy that can wipe everyone without touching us, or having one fireteam member take up a relic and perform an important role with it. And that lack of "newness" is what makes us look at them as lesser then VoG.

We have 8 more years of this. I'm actually starting to anticipate a time when the raids might not even excite me anymore… Which is another reason why committing to something for 10 years may not completely pan out for the entire time. But for now, I am looking forward to the next one.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread