More integrated into the world. (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, July 22, 2016, 23:09 (2833 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I want to play Dark Souls and see if it also doesn't have a story and is just obscure lore that people have been squinting at long enough to find satisfaction in sharing with other people who have been squinting long enough.

I'm no expert, but I have played a bit of DS1.

The primary difference between the way Destiny and Dark Souls integrate their stories, is that in Dark Souls, the NPCs you interact with start out in the world, and then depending on your actions, they can end up returning to the safe hub area which functions like Destiny's Tower.

In the first game and the latest, that's Firelink Shrine.

Destiny puts all its NPCs and merchants in the safe areas-- there's nobody to interact with out in the world except enemies.

[snip]

>

Of all Destiny's current NPCs, the one I find most believable and relatable is Eris. She's the only one with a real arc, and she acts crazy enough to be given latitude for cryptic or partial explanations.

Think about how Mass Effect 2 did its story. It was basically what you want here. More of that, indeed.

Sort of. ME2 has a bunch of its own issues that I'd rather Destiny didn't import, but I think an approach like this would have made the player feel like the world was more real while at the same time having more of an impact on it, without having to be credited with every single heroic act the Vanguard ever performs.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread