Yes. (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, July 23, 2016, 00:23 (2826 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, July 23, 2016, 00:27

I do agree that nostalgia and VoG just being so unknown and unexpected are huge parts of why it's held up as the best raid. I don't think that's everything, though. I still think it's almost perfect in both difficulty, fun encounters, and length in ways that the other two raids aren't. It's mechanics and encounters stand head and shoulders above the rest just in terms of being fun, while still requiring teamwork. Confluxes to the Templar fight is some of the most fun Destiny has ever been, and I don't know that anything in Crota's End or King's Fall comes even close to matching that set of encounters.

I think that is because it was up to you to come up with your own solution to the challenge. So you have all the Legions of Fanatics that appear and threaten to overwhelm you. There's no one specific way to deal with that. So maybe you focus on making orbs during the conflux phase by the stairs so that you can chain supers to kill them as they spawn (what my group did the very first time). Maybe you move around and fight them off. Maybe you are cheap and hide. But the solution was not so specific. Same thing with the Gatekeeper fight. You can do it however you want.

Even the templar had variety. You could try to block the teleport.

I think the next raid should eliminate fights where the solution is very specific and unforgiving. Definitely punish players if they mess up, but give them an opportunity to make up for it. Too often in King's fall, a tiny mistake is a wipe.

A tiny mistake should have a snowball effect, which eventually would lead to a wipe if you don't stop it from rolling.

I guess the takeaway is:

Flexibility
Discoverability
Recoverability
Mystery
Challenging (different than difficult)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread