A good series ruined (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, August 25, 2016, 12:40 (2799 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto
edited by Kermit, Thursday, August 25, 2016, 12:47

So you can pay real money to power yourself up in Mankind Divided.

I'm done. Not buying it. It's a shame. I can probably just proclaim now that no RPG will ever surpass the original, even though we definitely have the tools and talent out there to do it. But people are more interested in bullshit.

Dammit.

I'm with you here. This is bullshit of the highest order. If the game is perfectly balanced without it, I can't see any other reason to add it other than bald faced money grab.

I imagine other games including a scheme like this; Half-Life 2, Homeworld, Civ? Ridiculous.

I admire the purity of principle on display, but there's an ongoing problem with AAA games. They're very expensive to make and the margins for profit seem to be getting thinner. Maybe the inclusion of microtransactions is motivated by greed or maybe it's motivated by the need to run a profitable business. I realize that for some people there's no difference, but I see a difference. The devs have endorsed the gameplay experience they intended people to have, and their vision of THAT seems to not include the use of these extra power-up items. That goes a long way from my perspective.

An analogy: I didn't like it when Borders, one of my favorite chain bookstores, starting cluttering up their stores with geegaws and crap that probably had a huge markup. Maybe they felt they needed to do that, but it negatively affected my experience there (the Feng Shui, if you will). I think it was part of their downfall. I feel like a lot of people feel this way about microtransactions, and it certainly can be true that microtransactions can ruin games. But I can ignore what Bungie and Square Enix has included in this regard, and it doesn't affect my experience (or won't, from what I can tell about Deus Ex). It's as if Borders said, you still have your open spaces and low shelves full of good books to browse. If you're interested in geegaws, we'll wheel them out just for you. But out of sight, out of mind.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread