Q: (Off-Topic)

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Thursday, September 01, 2016, 22:54 (2816 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Last night, I watched this video from the Original Post regarding IBM's Watson, in a PR stunt, crunching numbers to help determine what might make for a good movie trailer.
Glad someone else saw it today, was intrigued by it, and posted it.

3 nights ago I caught a tweet from Marty regarding Beep (gamessound documentary).

After digging in to the project a bit, I learned that the soundtrack in Beep is procedurally generated:

"The "Beep" soundtrack is likely the first feature length procedural music film score in history and most of the songs are entirely produced using the open source visual scripting language Pure Data. Each song uses mathematics to both create the sounds of all the instruments as well as improvise on my musical patterns to generate a different performance each time the song is played."

I finally watched Marty's Beep interview. I know it was posted a long while back (3 Mo.), but I failed to watch it when it released. It was delightful to watch.
When watching the other day, I even wrote down a note to myself for follow up Q: later. Didn't think the follow up would be so soon, in 3 days time. The opportunity has presented itself?
Something at around 27:00 tickled my grey matter.

It was in regards to Mix in games:

"Basically you have like an artificial intelligence mixer inside the box that actually is making audio decisions on the fly, and if you can make the rules complex and compelling enough for the Artificial Intelligent(A.I.) mixer you can do some really beautiful things"

Preface: What if an AI that executes procedurally generated music/mix (or movie editing) were to become "self-aware" or become rampant. What if it were to begin breaking the rules and making its own decisions and generating its own "unique" content

Q: In your opinion, if an A.I. were to become able to "generate its own 'original' content", would/could A.I. generated content be considered Art/Music?

A:

This whole thing might be a huge headache :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread