It can, but it won't (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, September 18, 2016, 20:12 (2799 days ago) @ Avateur

I already know that. You're making the argument that I've made for years here to me right now. This reply chain stems from a hope of in-game story maybe being great for this expansion because of how the text-based marketing, a mini-Grimoire of sorts, is portraying the lead-up to this expansion. I have been making the argument for years, most notably to Ragashingo, that the Grimoire is backstory and does not at all reflect upon or translate to in-game storytelling or writing. So I guess thanks for reaffirming all of that for me?

And their writing and storytelling with these expansions has continued to leave one wanting. This expansion's story is going to continue to be an attempt to create some sort of foothold for some sort of in-game universe story since Destiny has largely not had one. That doesn't mean it won't have a story or that it might not be good (I personally don't have high hopes), but if you think an expansion is going to provide the in-game story and plot that two years of this thing has failed to provide, it's not going to happen. Destiny 2 is where it's at. And my hope is that the bits of story they've managed to drop with Taken King and Rise of Iron will finally coalesce into whatever broad vision they have for the Destiny in-game universe as a whole going forward. And they won't be able to realize that merging and progression until the sequel.

I agree that good writing in the grimoire doesn't translate into good writing in the game (and is a different beast, really), but good storytelling can happen in the game and good writing is essential to that. I don't have your psychic powers nor do I understand why a new game is required for in-game storytelling to be great, or maybe I'm just not able to understand that point so let's agree to disagree.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread