Scenes from the future: (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, October 07, 2016, 00:59 (2780 days ago) @ Claude Errera

edit: So you're opposed to the concept of a subscription-based game, period? Even a hypothetical one with daily updates and massive amounts of content?

Yes.

It has to do with my own shortcomings; if I'm paying for something over time, I don't feel good about it when I have other things going on in my life. It's irrelevant that the yearly cost is the same as a one-time-purchase, because once I've spent the money, I'm okay not playing. But if I'm paying over time, I HAVE to play, or I'm unhappy. I understand that's me, but it keeps me from playing ANY subscription-based games, and I'm okay with that.

That's not a shortcoming, that's human nature.

A subscription like that incentivizes the audience to think that any minute spent not playing is a minute you're paying for something you're not getting.

If it was a subscription, it'd have to be yearly, like XBL itself. If you did it monthly, you'd have people wanting to go on vacation when they can't play so they could save five bucks, and then get back on the plan when they can play. Nightmare.

The only subscription game I ever played, briefly, was Eve Online. And they're adding a F2P tier.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread