Some guy soloed Aksis. (Destiny)

by Funkmon @, Saturday, October 22, 2016, 16:01 (2736 days ago)

From Reddit posted by ScaRdrow: https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/58txxi/solo_aksis/

This challenge was by far the hardest thing I have ever attempted in Destiny. In terms of difficulty with 1 being casual and 10 being impossible:

Oryx Solo after the Sleeper Simulant nerf was a 7 (at 320 Light before April update)

Solo Aksis is a 9, borderline 10. (at least until we can reach more than 400 light, or with another strat).

The Aksis strat was nowhere near the same complexity as the Oryx strat, but the execution was in another world.

Thanks to Esoterickk for editing this post, my english is really not the best.

Build/Gear Setup:
I did this as a 399 Sunsinger Warlock. My build included: Solar Grenade, Focused Burst, Fireborn, Flameshield, Arcane Force, Viking Funeral, Chaos Order and Gift of the Sun.

My gear/weapon loadout was the following:
400 Light Image Loop with Life Support, Explosive Rounds, Surrounded and Sureshot.
399 Eirene RR2 with Life support, Casket Mag, Yepaki SS2 and Triple Tap.
399 Raze-Lighter with Scabbard and Warrior of light.
Helmet with Inverse Shadow and Invigoration
Claws of Ahamkara with Snap Discharge and Hand Cannon Loader
Raid Chest with +Sniper Ammo, Mortal Medicine and Bomb Disposal Shield (Raid Chest Perk).
Raid Boots with +Sniper Ammo, Solar Double-down and In your Element (Raid Boots Perk).
Radegast Artifact for the increased Sword Ammo.

Tier Stat Spread:
T3 Intellect (193) / T3 Discipline (180) / T5 Strength (305)

Let's talk about the actual strat and credits:

Strategy:
I'm not gonna state the obvious as you can see most of that in the video itself. But the rest are as follows:

Handling Shanks:
Firstly, killing as many Shanks as possible will make all the phases significantly easier. The more Shanks up, the more damage you obviously take and the more chance they have to block your path (particularly with Sword swing boosting). The Shanks on the right side are also important to kill as they can delay the last Servitor getting to the right spot. Shanks can block the pathing of the Servitor, so it can change where the Servitor end up and cause some inconsistencies.

Using a Explosive Round Imago Loop was TheGrreatGatsby's idea. This allows you to 1 shot all of the Shanks, making them much quicker to kill.

I was using Firebolt initially, but when I saw Esoterickk's 3 bombs practice run using Solar Grenade I was like, "that does not look like a bad choice". I then experienced some inconsistencies with Firebolt (not killing them at all some times, being limited to 3 kills at once) and I wanted to try Solar Grenade, which turned out to be clearly the best choice.
You can consistently kill groups of Shanks and even more if they keep coming - their AI doesn't seem to ignore them and they just suicide into the Solar Grenades. You can also kill yourself if you are weak enough on top of the the bomb, which lets you self-res on top of it and do the bomb throwing quicker.

Killing The Captains:
For the next part which is killing the Captains, there are 2 strats that were viable:
The one that I was using was killing the first Captain with the Sword, and then snipe the Captain across the map with the Cannon from the left side. You then kill the middle Captain with the Cannon as well after killing the one on the right side.

That strat ended up being the most consistent way of getting through phases for me, because the less delay you have between killing the Captains, the less the Servitor's are delayed with spawning.
The only issue with this being is that the Captain on the right side can have a bad pattern where he comes out of the door and immediately hides to the left, where you cannot hit him with the Cannon.
A member in my clan "STRIKE" called Spartan came up with another strat that I ended up using as a back up strat if I had that Captain use the bad pattern. Spartan's strat was to sword the first captain, and then immediately kill the middle captain with the cannon. He would then run all the way over and go sword the last Captain to kill it. sc_Slayerage was also using this back up strat and made it more consistent by jumping middle to get the last servitor quickly.
Using this strat, the last Servitor was kind of delayed but it wasn't enough to make it non-viable and it did work. It was just not consistent enough for me to use a my main strat.

SIVA Charges (Bombs):
To deal with the Charge Lockout after using the Cannons (which prevents you from picking up and throwing bombs), you need to kill yourself and self-res to remove the debuff. Staying close to the edge for one second before wiping made me spawn closer to the first bomb (SIVA Charge). If you did not have this delay, sometimes you could spawn way further back and it would nearly always cause a wipe due to not being able to get all 3 bombs in time. Killing the last Servitor as late as possible would make the phase way more consistent, as it gave it more time for the bomb to remain on the ground and he would be closer to his spawn point.

After throwing three bombs, the next part was getting the three stuns consistently while firing cannons in the same time.

Stunning Aksis:
Every frame had to be used to get as much damage as was possible each round. His damage threshold is insanely tight, so you need to put in all the damage you can at every possible chance.

When I was streaming last wesneday, someone in my chat mentionned that I could melee while I was shoting the boss. I can't remember your name but that definitely helped me.

Aksis' teleport can actually be predicted too. He leaves a red blurr that indicates where his next position will be. Without this red blur the solo would be impossible, as you wouldn't be able to predict where he was going for the stun. Thanks Bungie <3

Even so, it was very hard to read depending on what angles you were seeing the blur from. To counter this, I ended up jumping in the air in front of him everytime so that I could have the best angle on him (and also be ready to use my sword in any direction he would teleport to). The only difference was for middle. I would always use the sword behind me because I could pick one of the cannon if he went front mid, and if he is back mid I can also get him from this path.

Rinse and repeat this all 5 times, and if your run was good enough you'll have enough cannons left for the final stand!
That was not my first final stand either, the previous day I got to the final stand but I wasn't able to finish him off.
Finally I wanted to credits everyone that I know of, that were running for the world first.

Spartan,Sc_Slayerage,Thegreatgabsy and everyone else who ever attempted this.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread