You're probably right (Off-Topic)

by Earendil, Thursday, November 03, 2016, 21:17 (2729 days ago) @ someotherguy

I agree that if you're not willing to put any effort in that's not great (though it's well within their rights!). But I'd still prefer that a wilfully ignorant (or lazy if you want) person not vote at all if they can't be bothered to educate themself. [Edit: Bit you say you'd have those people vote regardless?]

No, I suppose if you are willfully ignorant about the government you live in, and decide not to vote, I'm not going to blame you for not voting. I'm still going to call that person ignorant though, and now we've looped back to some people not voting being considered ignorant :)

But I also think sometimes you just can't make a decision you're happy with,

I hate to put on my adult pants for this comment (because honestly the pants don't fit me well) but that's life. Sticking ones fingers in their ear because their decisions don't result in sunshine and rainbows is just what we do on a daily basis.

or want to make it known that you don't find the options acceptable.

Now THIS I can get behind. In this case you should vote for someone, ANYONE else. Just make sure that who you vote for represents you and what you want on some level. Hell, vote for yourself, seriously.
But at least politicians will get that you are a voter than can be won over. People that don't vote aren't even part of our representative government because government has near zero responsibility to represent you if you don't vote.

And to me it seems like you're saying those people are just as lazy and worthy of equal disdain to those who haven't even bothered. Which rubs me very much the wrong way, but maybe Im misunderstanding your intentions?

I'm sure there are legit reasons for not voting. I listed a few myself. The angle I'm coming from is that 47% of this country doesn't vote in the presidential election, even fewer vote in local elections (on average) and I don't see that many people having a valid excuse. Those with a valid excuse are in the minority.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread