On a similar note... (Off-Topic)

by EffortlessFury @, Friday, November 18, 2016, 20:24 (2705 days ago) @ Korny

Well, I don't know if it helps, but the most interesting villain I've seen lately has to be Kilgrave from Jessica Jones.

Unlike say, Handsome Jack, Kilgrave doesn't necessarily see himself as a "hero." Protagonist, maybe, but his aspirations don't really reach to "hero" level. He doesn't think he's bettering the world or doing anything grand. He doesn't have goals, other than an obsession with controlling Jessica. What's interesting about him is how his particular ability warps his own perception of the world and others. There's an argument to be made that he may not fully grasp WHY what he does isn't OK - which does make him similar to those "I'm the hero" villains, although it comes from a different place.

In that same universe, there's also Wilson Fisk. You understand why he is the way that he is, and he does see himself as the means to a better end, but also ultimately acknowledges that he is the villain (see his interpretation of the Good Samaritan story). The way he assesses situations and does the "logical thing' (trying to kill Frank, before deciding to help him go free instead) helps define him as someone who isn't 100% "evil", but who is willing to do evil things. He is only truly evil when he loses his temper, which is a direct result of his upbringing, and it's something that he is constantly fighting. Great character.

Also reminds me of The Operative from Firefly. He knows what he does is deplorable but he does it because he truly believes that these actions will bring about a better life for the rest of society. He is the sacrificial lamb upon which the rest of existence can be built free of guilt and dirty hands.

Unfortunately we all know the cause he fought for was a sham...but for the longest time he didn't know that and saw himself as the hero.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread