Unbroken (Off-Topic)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 21, 2016, 00:29 (2684 days ago) @ kidtsunami
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, November 21, 2016, 00:35

Ever watch Unbreakable? The villain in that move was really well done but I won't say more in case you haven't seen it.

In general I think villains are better when they aren't strictly evil. When they are doing evil things, but for good reasons. Or perhaps when their past has caused them to become evil in some way. Especially if whatever caused them to become evil is directly related to what caused the heroes to become heroes.

Not necessarily. It can be just as fun or appropriate if you villain is just pure evil. I mean, can you imagine Rocky IV with Ivan Drago as a guy with a complex, nuanced psychology? If he felt something when he killed Apollo? No that would suck, because the film is about the evils of Communism and the strength of the American spirit.

Pure evil with no shades can work depending on what story you want to tell.

I would be so excited to see him wrestle with being a cog in an awful machine and have the death of an opponent weigh on him.

But then it would be a completely different movie - one where communism no longer removes your humanity. Thus my point. The theme of the film only works with a one dimensional villain.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread