It's a shame, because grind *can* be fun (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, December 01, 2016, 18:03 (2699 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That's the trap that Destiny has put itself in since the beginning, and continues to fall into with every release. Certain aspects of the game require a level of repetition that the rest of the game can't hold up under.

I just don't get it, because TTK got it right (at least up until Normal mode King's Fall). You finished the storyline, which opened up other quest lines that basically led you right up into the raid. There was minimal grinding to get raid ready. Of course, after the raid, it turned into the normal grind of running the raid for drops to get ready for Hard Mode, or to get infusion fodder for Trials or Iron Banner. But, for me, that's okay. I just want to be able to play through a story and quests that lead directly into a Raid. Then I can feel "done" and hop in when I want to, but not feel like I'm falling behind when I don't play. I can do the raid, quit, then play the next expansion and do the same thing. If I can't do that, then I'm out. I'm not going to grind out bullshit numbers for a week to unlock the thing I actually want to play.

But that's been the complaint since the very beginning, and here we are, still complaining about it. Maybe Destiny 2 will actually fix it, maybe not. If not, it really will be time to hang up the hat, accept that Destiny just isn't for me and move on for good. I hold out hope (maybe naively) simply because I like the fundamental gameplay of Destiny, and I really like this community.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread