Is the Trials competition really so weak on Xbone... (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, December 01, 2016, 19:51 (2696 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It's clear that every Destiny release up to this point has been hampered by lack of dev time / technical constraints / etc

This isn't really entirely true. It's hampered by lack of management in my opinion.

Bungie has always had a ton of talent, but it has always lacked solid management. The old games were created by pretty much just everybody doing whatever. Oh, this would be cool, let's add that! Oh, that bug needs fixing, I'll fix it. Development was very fluid and undirected. It was simply following the fun and doing awesome shit.

This works fine with small teams and games that aren't as complex, but when you are making a game that's as huge as Destiny it is a problem.

Ask yourself how it is that the year the game is supposed to ostensibly ship, Joe Staten is showing the 'supercut' of the story to much of the team for the first time. How does the left hand not know what the right hand is doing? How is it that Destiny 2 is being rebooted so close to release in a way oddly familiar?

It's weird that Microsoft was the best thing to happen to Bungie. Mostly because they were able to hold their feet to the fire a bit, and lend personnel. I don't think Halo would have come out the way it did if Bungie stayed independent. Here they are independent again, however this time their publisher isn't really fighting for them the way that Microsoft would.

I wonder if going back to independence was the wrong move without really nailing down better project management.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread