I like it (Destiny)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, December 05, 2016, 20:02 (2670 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

There is something deeply rewarding about making the conscious decision to work towards something, put in the effort, succeed, and reap the reward. The Gjallarhorn quest in RoI was a bit of a "freebee", but it still had weight to it. I'm a huge fan of the Black Spindle quest because it had the charm of a "secret" mission, plus it was an intense challenge that was inherently satisfying to complete, and then you got this awesome weapon as a reward. I've talked about this before, but I like the inclusion of a task that is very difficult and not everyone will be able to pull it off. There are people out there who can say "I never did manage to get that Black Spindle"... and I find that a compelling part of the communal experience of Destiny. But the RNG equivalent doesn't hit the same chord. I never got a "God roll" Doctrine of Passing... not because I failed to complete the required challenge, but because 50 weeks of playing Trials every single weekend just wasn't enough to get the RNG to swing in my favor. THAT is a crappy feeling.

So, how do you feel about the RNG around WHEN you can run the secret Black Spindle mission? I think it being available only at certain times is fine, as long as it occurs with some frequency, if it were available anytime then people would simply grind on it until they accomplished the task. If it were only available on certain days of the week (like Trials) then I'd have some problems with it as I've dedicated certain days to family/spouse and only a couple for gaming.

Update: looks like you can now run the black spindle mission at any time. I think that's probably a good solution, run it on a restricted basis for a while then open it up.

The Outbreak Prime quest was perhaps a tad too far down the rabbit hole of insanity (in terms of how long and complex it is), but I'll take that over "just play the raid over and over and over and hopefully you'll get the gun you want some day".

Yeah, still working on that one...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread