More Titanfall > Destiny PvP Stuff I Noticed (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, December 06, 2016, 21:16 (2668 days ago)

So I took about a month off of Destiny, and hopped back in today because weeeee Iron Banana!

Wow, I forgot how rage-inducing this game is. It legit sucks compared to Titanfall. Here are a few key differences:

- In Titanfall, your team is *always* blue. The enemy is *always* orange. Friendly units have blue lights all over them regardless of what shader they're using. Enemy units have orange, regardless of what shader they're using. Certain enemy actions also cause them to get a glowing orange highlight. In Destiny your team can be either blue or red. This is not consistent, and you can switch colors every single match. It's infuriating after playing just a little Titanfall.

- In Titanfall (and every other current FPS), you just don't die to bullshit impossible through a wall and around a corner shots. Ever. Destiny is fucking full of them. It's awful. I got rocketed through a wall, sniped through a tree, a doorway, and a box, and killed by several people before they were visible on my screen today, and I only played 3 matches. God DAMN. That shit was really frustrating. Even worse, when I'm dying to all of this bullshit and I still get "the best around"... There's a major problem there. That means everyone in the game is dying all the time for no damn reason. It's insane.

- Sniper ranges. As discussed before, Destiny's maps are too goddamn small for how quickly the players move, and the bigger maps are horribly designed so that they encourage hugging the outer boundary rather than actually using the map space. Furthermore, the weapon ready speed is insanely fast in Destiny. Titanfall sniping is ever soo much better. Maps are much larger. Your average range of engagement is two-three times as far as in Destiny. Furthermore, map design (and overall game mode design, honestly) encourages players to press forward and engage the enemy. The sniper rifles take longer to ADS and have a higher base zoom than in Destiny. You want to stay in a long sightline. But the enemy is pushing up quickly! So sniping is all about taking a shot or two and repositioning. It's very, very satisfying and not at all overpowered. Sniping in TF is also hard as hell, but any hit OHKs. Even so, you *never* see snipers at the top of the kill list.

- Radar. Titanfall's radar is always active, even when ADSing. When someone shoots, it pinpoints their location instead of just showing a general cone of presence. It's great.

- Weapon ready times. This is a HUGE difference. Destiny's characters have the fastest, strongest runningest and jumpiest legs ever, but their arms are as slow as molasses. Changing weapons takes forever and then still leaves you with a bonus, inexplicable delay before you can actually shoot the gun. So many deaths are because I changed weapons, ADSed, pulled the trigger, and *nothing fucking happened*. Fuck you game. Give me a visual cue that my weapon isn't ready instead of every visual cue that it is when it really isn't. In titanfall, by comparison, weapon switching is super fast. Using the "switch faster" perk makes it basically instantaneous. If your gun looks ready to fire, it is.

- Weapon ideal ranges. Destiny's ideal weapon ranges are OHK shotgun range - 10m. Close and OHK shotgun range faster than non OHK guns range - 20m, Hand cannons - 25m, pulse rifles or scout rifles to 30m, snipers at 30+. So basically you want a shotgun or sniper if you're outside of the 21-30m range. In Titanfall, the weapons all have very (VERY) fast TTKs. The damage doesn't drop off over distance, only accuracy does. So your ideal range is based purely on how close you need to be to reliably land your shots: Shotguns to 10m (but your melee is always OHK), sub machine guns to 25m, assault rifles to 35m (45m if scoped), and snipers at 50m+. The burst fire AR has about 5m more effective range than the other ARs. One of the SMGs has about 5m more range than the others as well (but needs to be reloaded more often). Note the dead zone from 46m-50m. This is great. It allows a heads up player to push on a sniper knowing they're hard to hit, or a sniper to fall back knowing they have time to escape because they're hard to hit at that range. Very smart. Even so, a SMG guy who noticed a sniper at 70m out can still kill him if they take the time to aim each shot and pace it properly (and the sniper doesn't dodge). Your best play is usually to put a couple of shots on the enemy and then run. Occasionally you'll get lucky.

- Bullshit. There isn't any in Titanfall. There's just not. I've had deaths where i knew better than to go through that door, but none where I know I made the right play and died anyway because of netcode shenanigans.

- Killcams. God but killcams are so nice to have. They show you exactly how easy you were to pick off, or how lucky the other guy was. Unlike Destiny with no killcams so you can't see the amazing shot through seven walls and around a corner to kill you in the toe.

- Ammo. So much this. In titanfall you have a primary weapon which actually is the one you primarily use. This weapon always has ammo on spawn. The only time you run out is if you live for a really long time and burn through that ammo in which case, who cares? You got your kills! Your secondary weapon is either a true sidearm like a revolver or an anti-titan weapon. Destiny, how often do you get kills with primary vs. secondary? The secondary shotgun/sniper is king. And you run out of ammo. Often. You can die 10 times in a row and still have no ammo for that gun. Pure hot garbage. Also, the guns do not give you a visual or audible indicator that they are out of ammo (unlike real guns, I might add). They click the next time you fire, but there's no click, no slide held back, no ping, and no auto-mag-eject when you go empty. In titanfall when you run out of ammo (again, hard to do), the game automatically switches you back to your other gun. You can also pick up any gun on the battlefield and use it if you like.

- Respawning. In titanfall, when I press the button to respawn, I do. Immediately. So sick of jamming on that X button in Destiny and just seeing "findng spawn location" for ten seconds, only to end up being aborted by some sniper across the map. Speaking of:

- Spawn camping. I'm so annoyed at this in Destiny. It's been a problem since beta (probably alpha, I didn't play that so I can't say) and it's still awful. No one should be killable before they're controllable. Not even for the two or three seconds after that. Now, it is *possible* to get a spawn kill in Titanfall, but very, very hard. Maps are much larger and spawns are intentionally far from the action (about a 5-10 second run, generally). The maps are designed with "spawn areas" that are generally protected from snipers and other long sight lines. So much better.

Anyway, wow, I didn't realize how bad Destiny was. It's just really, really poor compared to the glory that is titanfall. Still a better shooter than, say, fallout 4, but that's not a game anyone should be using as a benchmark. I can't believe this is going MLG. So many problems. So sad. Bungie, please pick up Titanfall and see how much pure FUN that game delivers, without any frustrating design. It's rewarding at all levels.

I am excited for SRL's return though. Last time around it was glorious, and I enjoyed it even when losing (which I always did because one of my friends is like top 100 in the world or some nonsense. How he finishes 8 seconds faster than me with the same bike is beyond my ken).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread