Bite-sized Backstory 16: Oryx's Pyramid Scheme (Destiny)

by Durandal, Friday, December 09, 2016, 17:20 (2693 days ago) @ Ragashingo

The Hive presuppose scarcity. The Dakuna, the Ecumne, have massive stellar engineering projects that give lie to the premise that the Hive doomsday scenario exists. Even at the micro level Taox and the Krill survive the god wave thanks to her engine design.

The Hive live in fear of not having enough, and see the simple answer is to eliminate any "other" in order to reserve all resources for themselves. Logically this puts them at war with all other forms of life, hence the "War on Life" (XXII) card.

The other option, the hard path, is to change the rules so everyone can have enough. This is possible, and despite the often contrary media narrative is what has happened with modern mankind. Cooperation, not war, has enabled humanity to have science, and goods, and medicine. The Western way of property rights, negotiations and mutual benefit have grossly surpassed the ancient tribalism and might makes right of our early ancestors.

I suspect, that even the darkness started out this way. In that strange realm described in the Alpha Lupi cards, some super emo kid had enough and left to go into the normal universe. Once there he decided to be king, but never had to work his way up from the bottom. The odds of winning 100% of the time are so dramatically low they must approach zero. You can not be the strongest all the time. All life has vulnerabilities and moments of weakness. This "I'm going to kill my way to the top" plan just doesn't work.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread