Yeah. *Spoilers, of course* (Off-Topic)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, December 18, 2016, 22:30 (2678 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Ragashingo, Sunday, December 18, 2016, 23:21

It's really well made, top to bottom. Looks beautiful, great action, lots of fun moments. But I didn't care about any of it. As deeply flawed as TFA was, I was invested in the characters and their struggles. Even when the plot was dumb or overly darrivitive, I cared about their personal journeys.
Rogue One is certainly less flawed than TFA, but it doesn't spend enough time with any of the characters for any of the emotional weight to hit home. And that's the main thing I look for in a Star Wars movie.

I deeply enjoyed it from the look at the fracturing Rebel Alliance to how the Empire operates internally to the Halo Reach grand finale with all its spectacular moments. But there was something about the characters and that did not resonate with me. I'm not even sure what yet! I just have this vague feeling that I'm excited to rejoin Rey and Fin and Poe for another movie, but this group? I'd be ok if we never see them again. (Which, as it goes, is quite easy to pull off... :p)

On the plus side, I loved seeing this tale of heroism:

It is a period of civil war.
Rebel spaceships, striking
from a hidden base, have won
their first victory against
the evil Galactic Empire.

During the battle, Rebel
spies managed to steal secret
plans to the Empire's
ultimate weapon, the DEATH
STAR, an armored space
station with enough power
to destroy an entire planet.

Now we've seen this, and despite whatever flaws it was still pretty awesome. :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread