I thought it was the best Star Wars film yet. (Off-Topic)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, December 19, 2016, 19:13 (2684 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Korny, Monday, December 19, 2016, 19:21

And I've never been a fan of the Star Wars films in general.

The universe always lent itself to some really great stories, though, which led to some pretty fantastic things (Republic Commando, Tartakovsky's Clone Wars, The Old Republic stuff). Star Wars could be gritty without being grimdark, and The Force Awakens was a definite step in the right direction, but it followed a bleh Mary Sue to a fault, and lacked focus.

Rogue One sets itself apart because it's a small story with real impact, it works to fix age-old inconsistencies and flaws that have haunted Star Wars for ages, and it's fun and full of memorable moments. No small task, but the movie does this while telling its own story of a small team with different ideals coming together to do a single task: Deliver the message.

"Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but you've all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all..."

Sure, we didn't spend ages with the individuals in the ensemble, but we knew why they were doing the things they were doing, and ultimately, they were the ones who set off the events of Episode IV, which would never have happened if they hadn't gone Rogue. Much like the events of the Halo franchise couldn't have happened without Noble team's sacrifice.

Rogue One could have worked better as a miniseries, exploring each of the individual characters, and we could have done without the mind-reading animal, but in the end, this was the best film in the Star Wars universe, and took a simple segment of the original Crawl, and presented it in a way that made sense and expanded the franchise in a way none of the films have before.

Now I have my fingers crossed for a Republic/Imperial Commandos film.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread