I thought it was the best Star Wars film yet. (Off-Topic)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, December 19, 2016, 21:20 (2656 days ago) @ Kermit

And I've never been a fan of the Star Wars films in general.

Well, there you go. EXPLAINS A LOT.

Keep in mind that I watched them a number of times growing up (even as school events), and I flat-out thought that they sucked.

It wasn't until I watched the Despecialized editions with Sammy a couple of years ago that I really looked back on and enjoyed them for what they were as products of their time. They weren't great, but the universe was solid, and Empire used a lot of my favorite storytelling devices.

With some exceptions (like Cruel), I do think original Star Wars fans perceive the universe and the movies differently. Lucas started losing some of us with the ewoks.

Sammy loved the Ewoks, and wasn't a huge fan of TFA, so yeh, everyone sees things a bit differently.

Heck, the prequel trilogy angered me with how stupid it was while putting itself into the original trilogy's universe and timelines as canon... But I liked TFA, and love R1.

I guess I'm a fan of stories rather than demanding that a director spoonfeed me into caring about individual characters. I don't need to know the whole story of a character to understand that they are part of a story.

I'm happy about the new movies. They're better than the prequels by a long shot, but the bar doesn't get much lower than that.

Yeh, I still haven't shown Sammy the prequels, but I think I might, just to give her better appreciation for the new films.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread