I thought it was the best Star Wars film yet. (Off-Topic)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, December 19, 2016, 21:42 (2677 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And I've never been a fan of the Star Wars films in general.

Well, there you go. EXPLAINS A LOT.

Keep in mind that I watched them a number of times growing up (even as school events), and I flat-out thought that they sucked.

It wasn't until I watched the Despecialized editions with Sammy a couple of years ago that I really looked back on and enjoyed them for what they were as products of their time.

So you didn't actually watch the Star Wars trilogy growing up then, did you? You watched an approximation. Look online for the Silver Screen edition, which is a good quality scan of a decent 35mm print. It's as close as you are going to get to seeing it how it really was.

But I'm not a neckbeard tho.

I cannot stress enough how shitty the special editions are. Even seemingly simple things like adjusting the shots and timing of edits in the Death Star trench run take what was one of the best action sequences ever put on film, and turned it into something with far less excitement and tension.

Eh, the timing in a shot between the despecialized edition and a "Silver Screen" edition isn't going to affect how I see a film. Sure, I'm a huge fan of composition and editing techniques, but the original trilogy had far more problems that weren't exacerbated by Lucas's retouches.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread