meh. (response with MAJOR SPOILERS) (Off-Topic)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, December 27, 2016, 22:24 (2647 days ago) @ Korny

One last thing - it's completely unclear why certain members of the "team" actually joined up. Not the randos at the end, but the main guys. No one really questioned it, but it only made sense to me in a "they want to live" sort of way, until the end when obviously that's not why they went with it. I would have appreciated a little more dialogue in the prison to explain how they all became friends and not just guys who are in prison together.

In prison? Jyn was the only one in prison. Oh, wait, you mean when the 3 were being held by Saw Gerrera by the rebel pilot. Meh, their driving values were established well enough for me to understand why they decided to go w/ Jyn & her last ditch effort.

In deleted footage from one of the trailers, Baze made a comment about the destruction of Jedha as their motivation. Having directly observed the danger of the Empire's secret weapon, it makes sense that the surviving Keepers of the Whills would want to help find a way to stop it, even at the risk of their own lives. But I didn't need this spoonfed to me through dialogue, or through a 20-minute scene of Baze and Chirrut crying into the sunset while John Williams' score blared in the background the same way the classic Star Wars films (and their fans) would want it, so I'm glad that the line was cut from the final product; I'm a fan of subtlety.

Oh, and those of us who wanted more characterization aren't fans of subtlety? Could you please be a little more subtle with your condescension?

So much could have done with a few scenes--Cruel is not quite right. We didn't need 20 more minutes. A good writer and director could have had 5 minutes more, and it could made a big difference.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread