eh (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, January 04, 2017, 22:26 (2662 days ago) @ Korny

Yup. If you don't lunge towards him, he slowly scoots out of the way, letting you go through the window.

Now that's neat, and the sort of thing I can appreciate the game for. It's attention to detail is great.

For whatever it's worth, I played it before it was talked to death, within the first week of its release, if not within the first day or two. I enjoyed the game. I just don't think it's a 10/10 transcendental masterpiece that everyone else seems to think. My biggest issue, like I said, was the puzzles. The one with the dogs and the fence is the best example of what I'm talking about: climb the fence, pull a board, run back and climb the fence, climb the fence again, go pull a board. Three times. I got it the first time, making me do it three times is just busywork, and large chunks of the game felt like that and reuse nearly the exact same mechanic. I understood how to complete most puzzles almost immediately and then just had to go through the prcocess of actually doing it, which rarely felt fun or compelling. Worth noting is that I didn't find all the collectibles--the game simple was good enough for me to care about going back and finding them.

By no means am I saying anyone is wrong--I don't begrudge anyone their opinion about the game. I just really don't understand the hype about it.

I'm usually really accepting of games. I'm not like a lot of folks around here--I tend to avoid critically analyzing what I'm playing. I like to just play and try to experience the thing, and when I'm done, I form my opinion without really trying to justify it to myself. I like some pretty bad games and hate some that are beloved, but I tend to try and find the enjoyment in everything I play. I can excuse a lot of terrible shit if I'm enjoying myself. So, on the whole, I'm prepped to love something like Inside, but this is the rare time where I just plain don't get it. I can only say, at least it didn't overstay it's welcome like Limbo did. I don't think I'd have played for much longer than the game ended up being.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread