I'm never telling you about the near screw ups (Destiny)

by Durandal, Thursday, January 05, 2017, 17:22 (2665 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I have an analogous position, in that I work on automobiles. A little bit of my genius, and lots of madness, get put into every vehicle I help design. It's a tiny thing, i'm not the chief design engineer or anything, but I can point to a part of a car and say "that's mine, I designed it".

I don't elaborate to the press, and to customers in general, all the things that didn't work prior to shipping. Most of the time, I just want the system to hold together and work for everyone. You don't need to know all the grimy details, all the late hours arguing, all the hiccups and issues that we found. Why something wouldn't work in Canada, but would right across the border in Minnesota, for example.

It is the nature of businesses not to talk about this stuff until long after the product ships, and the problem is fixed or moot.

It is extremely unhelpful to get unsolicited advice from people who are not fully knowledgeable about the problem while you are under a major deadline. So engineers will never openly talk about stuff like this until they have a solution. Otherwise it is not getting solved.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread