One Other Thing... (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, January 06, 2017, 19:28 (2638 days ago) @ Kermit

I think we instinctually appreciate the process just as much if not more than the final result. For instance, if I show you a photograph of a woman, you probably would not be terribly impressed. However, if it turns out it wasn't a photograph but a hyper realistic painting that was indistinguishable from a photograph, you'd be hella impressed.

i would be! It may be rather bland by every other artistic criteria other than realism, though. I think you're confusing art with craft.

This is an interesting example, too.

Putting myself in the shoes of the theoretical "viewer" in Cody's analogy, if I see a photo that is in itself unimpressive, and then I find out it is not a photo but a drawing that looks like a photo, I am still not impressed by the actual image in front of me. I would be greatly impressed with the technical skill involved in drawing something by hand that looked like a photograph, but that doesn't make me enjoy looking at the picture any more. It's a bit like No Man's Sky. It is incredible to think that the majority of that game was built by 4-6 people. But that doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy playing the game.

So yes, I do think I am interested in both the process and the final result, but one does not necessarily impact my opinion of the other.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread