One Other Thing... (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, January 06, 2017, 19:32 (2637 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think we instinctually appreciate the process just as much if not more than the final result. For instance, if I show you a photograph of a woman, you probably would not be terribly impressed. However, if it turns out it wasn't a photograph but a hyper realistic painting that was indistinguishable from a photograph, you'd be hella impressed.

i would be! It may be rather bland by every other artistic criteria other than realism, though. I think you're confusing art with craft.

This is an interesting example, too.

Putting myself in the shoes of the theoretical "viewer" in Cody's analogy, if I see a photo that is in itself unimpressive, and then I find out it is not a photo but a drawing that looks like a photo, I am still not impressed by the actual image in front of me. I would be greatly impressed with the technical skill involved in drawing something by hand that looked like a photograph, but that doesn't make me enjoy looking at the picture any more. It's a bit like No Man's Sky. It is incredible to think that the majority of that game was built by 4-6 people. But that doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy playing the game.

So yes, I do think I am interested in both the process and the final result, but one does not necessarily impact my opinion of the other.

Bringing this back to Destiny...

If Bungie came out and openly addressed all the raging angry gamers out there demanding to know what happened to Destiny, what would that actually achieve? If bungie laid out the whole story, every nitty gritty detail... would that suddenly change the experience that those disappointed fans had with the game? Not at all, right? They'd still be just as disappointed, wouldn't they?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread