Lots of people felt misled about Halo 2. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, January 08, 2017, 16:51 (2658 days ago) @ Ragashingo

The Marines getting dropped off in AotCR isn't some massive scripted event. It places a Warthog, a Tank, and like six marines. But it means the world to the feel of the level and its works because the level is long enough for them to matter. They only ever say, what, two or three lines of mission dialogue but we ended up protecting them and sheparding them and swapping them out into the right order and reloading if Sarge died.

I can't believe I hadn't though of that. Friendly AI characters are sorely missed, now that I think about it. They add a lot of life to the game. I think I can see how Bungie wanted random encounters with other players and partying up to replace that, but in practice it doesn't work.

I still love the attack on the House of Winter's Ketch and Kell. It made good use of the volcano section of Venus. You fought your way a good distance from point A to point B similar to a Halo level. You had to enter actual enemy territory like with a lot of Halo levels. And the music that built up in the way spiraling down to the up to the Ketch was amazing.

That's actually a good mission that I had forgotten about, too. I think there's probably more good stuff like that buried in Destiny, but that's just it, it's buried. The campaign of Destiny is so segmented and aimless that the good stuff gets forgotten because it's stuck with a bunch of seemingly lazily constructed half missions and it all blends into one long, boring slog.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread